Overtime Goal Sinks Field Hockey at Plymouth, 2-1

Overtime Goal Sinks Field Hockey at Plymouth, 2-1

Nov. 4, 2011

Final Stats

PLYMOUTH, NH-Jackie Morin scored on her own rebound 7:40 into sudden death overtime to give host Plymouth State a 2-1 overtime victory over the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth's field hockey team in their Little East Conference semi-final playoff match at Arold Field Friday afternoon.

Morin's goal capped a comeback that saw the teams exchange goals just before and after halftime.

Junior forward Erica Allan(Amherst, MA/Amherst HS) put the Corsairs on top with an unassisted goal 43 seconds before the end of the first half. Allan's goal, which came on the Corsairs' only shot of the first half, came on a low shot from just inside the circle.

Erin Norris tied it up for the Panthers when she deflected home a shot by Aisha Rai Thompson from just outside the circle a minute and 29 seconds into the second half.

Morin had the only two shots of the overtime period for PSU, and they came just over a minute after Allan's shot was stopped by Panther goalkeeper Hilary Lemelin.

"It was a disappointing loss, I thought we had the talent to compete for the conference championship," said UMass Dartmouth Head Coach Nicole Castonguay. "It was also disappointing that our only senior, (defender) Maille Lynch-Gilbert, didn't have the chance to compete for a conference championship this year because she was injured last year. However, there's no group that I would rather coach than this one, and with 21 of 22 players coming back and the work we will put in during the spring, I'm confident that we will continue our winning tradition in field hockey next year."

The Panthers outshot the Corsairs, 13-6. UMD sophomore goalkeepers Lauren O'Brien(Rochester, MA/Old Rochester Regional HS) made 10 saves, while Lemelin had three stops for Plymouth State.

The Corsairs dropped to 10-10 with the defeat, while the Panthers improved to 17-2 with the victory. Plymouth State will play either Keene State or Westfield State Sunday afternoon in the finals. The match was the final action of the season for UMass Dartmouth.