DARTMOUTH, Mass. – Corsair sophomore Kylie Fletcher (Dighton, Mass.) walked off the Bears with a two-strike game-winning single in the night cap as UMass Dartmouth split its non-conference doubleheader against Bridgewater State at the UMD Softball Complex on Thursday. Freshman Anna Kerwood (Florence, Mass.) earned the win as the righty went for a complete game, scattering seven hits and a pair of runs in the hosts' (19-15) victory over the Bears (16-19).
How it Happened
Game One: Bridgewater State 5, UMass Dartmouth 3
- UMass Dartmouth struck first in the first as Fletcher kept her hands back on a 1-2 offering before powering her third homer of the season just inside the foul pole (1-0). The Corsairs inflated the lead to three two innings later as Fletcher went oppo for an RBI single, later scoring on freshman Lindsay Chubbuck's (Berkley, Mass.) hit to the gap (3-0).
- The Bears began to creep back in their penultimate turn at the dish as they took advantage of an opportunity with runners on the corners; junior Samantha Mulcahy (Taunton, Mass.) swiped second which allowed freshman Megan Sharon (East Longmeadow, Mass.) to race home on an errant throw up the middle of the diamond (3-1).
- Bridgewater State placed a four-spot in the seventh, first on a Mulcahy bases loaded walk (3-2) to set up freshman Alexandra Taylor's (Hebron, Conn.) score the tying run on a ball to the backstop (3-3). With runners on second and third, senior Courtney Gouveia (Taunton, Mass.) rolled a slow ground ball to the right side that bought classmate Mackenzie Holt (Gilroy, Calif.) enough time to cross the plate for the go-ahead score (4-3). Sharon then provided an insurance run by doubling to deep center in the following at-bat (5-3).
Game Two: Corsairs 3, Bears 2
- Bear junior Meghan Navarro (Taunton, Mass.) laced a two-run single to the gap in the fourth to plate sophomore Alexandra Ruprecht (Kingston, Mass.) and senior Jenny Heller (Taunton, Mass.) (2-0).
- UMass Dartmouth whittled the deficit back down to one on sophomore Kaitlyn Hart's (Norton, Mass.) sacrifice bunt attempt that Bear catcher Taylor errantly tossed to allow the hosts on the board in freshman Lauren Talbot's (Windham, Maine) score (2-1).
- Down one entering the seventh, Medeiros bounced a hard ground ball to third baseman Gouveia but had the hop pop off her chest and toward second base. Junior Nicole McSweeney (Bridgewater, Mass.) came around all the way from second and crossed the plate to even matters at a pair apiece (2-2).
- Fletcher then returned to the box and, after fouling off her first two deliveries the other way, snuck one back up the middle for the walk-off single (3-2).
Inside the Numbers
- With a 3-for-4 performance with a game-high pair of RBI and runs scored, Fletcher logged her 12th multi-hit game of the season.
- Freshman Autumn Medeiros (Swansea, Mass.) got a hit in each of her plate appearances for her third multi-hit game of her first year.
- Five different Bears scored.
- Right handed pitcher Anna Kerwood (Florence, Mass) Freshman Julia Sorrentino (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) logged her first career hit in the fifth by finding the gap on a 1-2 pitch.
- Fletcher extends her hitting streak to four, and has picked up a hit in 14 of her last 16 outings.
Head Coach Amy Sasin's unit returns to action on Saturday, hosting conference opponent Western Connecticut for a twin bill commencing at 1 p.m. ahead of the Corsairs' Senior Day celebration. Bridgewater State will host the Owls of Westfield State on Saturday at noon.
(Recap, photo by: Kyle Diangkinay '19, Athletic Communications Graduate Assistant)